Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Elections

So Indonesia has had a presidential election. In fact, its Indonesia's first ever direct presidential election since 1955. Good for the Indonesian people. Some of my Indonesian friends went to the Indonesian embassy to vote for various candidates. That's a good sign. Also Mexico has gone to the vote and many overseas Mexicans have gone to local embassies and consulates to let their will be known. Of course, Mexico just managed to break the PRI's grip on politics in the 1990s. Actually, so did Indonesia.

Indonesia's front runner, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono... Now that's a cool name. Everyone in the media is calling him SBY. I mean seriously, that's like such a cool name. It also helps that Mr Susilo is charismatic and also quite capable. Go Army! Ms Megawati is running in second place with Ex-General Wiranto in third. Seriously, throughout the entire campaign Ex-General Wiranto seems to have no last name. My friend suggested Ex is his first name, General is his middle name and Wiranto is really his last name. Elections were very smooth and so far there has only been on case of fraud, where Army trucks delivered voters to a certain polling station and they all voted for Wiranto. And all these people weren't even from the area. One incident in such a huge country where free and fair elections are a new thing after 50 years... Very good indeed! Indonesia has come a long way in terms of democracy.

Which leads me to Singapore. My home... Well I can't vote... Not that I legally can't, its just that my district always gets a walkover. Who wants to fight with the party of White? I also can't vote in the presidential elections coz' no one wants to run for it. Last time round they had to beg people to be president. "Tolong leh. If you don't be we got to ask the Uncle who sleeps by the road side to be leh. Help lah." And even if there was another candidate running against the 115th choice for President, I still can't vote. That's because I'm overseas, and since I'm overseas, my rights as a citizen is forfeit. So why the hell do I still pay taxes to the government? Why is my income counted in the GNI (Gross National Income)? Hey no vote, no pay! Taxation without representation (where have we heard that before)!

Sure "some" Singaporeans can vote overseas. You know... The Government Sychophants, erm, I mean Scholars and the Un-Civil, I mean Civil, Servants. They can vote because they are responsible Singaporeans. Unlike me, you know the guy that goes overseas to study and then come home to work. I not responsible. How to be? Everyday study only. Come home look after parents. Irresponsible lah. I tell you, that's why I join Civil Service also no promotion. I not government scholar, not responsible enough. Cannot trust me to do a good job mah. Because last time ah, JC never study, O level also not so many A1s. Everyday only sort school archives and build solar powered cars. Only know how to help out at church and teach Sunday school. Only can go to Sisters of Mercy and clean the place. No responsibility whatsoever.

Seeing how irresponsible I am, I decided that I should go work for some other nation. I figure I go there and destroy them lah. Help Singapore become number 1 in something. That reminds me of another rant, but I'll save that for another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home