Monday, July 05, 2004

A big HELLO!

Well, here's my first blog. I wasn't a big fan of blogging because it was originally linked to kids who didn't have much else to do but tell everyone of their public life.

But then more people began using it for productive purposes, and today blogging has become a means to broadcast your thoughts to the world. The Chinese have a tradition of doing this called Bi Ji. So moving ahead into the new century, I figured I could use the modern bi ji to help share my views.

So why? Well this motivation to make my message heard is because of an afternoon tea I had with a group of older "young Singaporeans." And I explained my "spark" theory to them. Too often we complain how dissatisfied we are we life here in Singapore, but no one does much.

Some of us argue that by joining the PAP we can change the way things are. But I argue that once you move into the power structure you lose the motivation to "rock the boat." Why? Well firstly you see things from the government points of view, and when pragmatism meets idealism, as old Frank Sinatra put it, something's gotta give. Also you become part of the structure that wants to maintain the status quo, too often we've seen young promising Singaporeans with many reformist ideas who join the ruling party and then end up toning down a lot.

How about the Opposition parties? Same reason as the PAP. Most political parties try to emulate the PAP by trying to recruit "scholars and professionals." So how different can they be from the party in White? Furthermore you cannot change things once you become the government. There is an overriding concern to maintain the status quo again.

So the top-down approach does not seem to me to be the right answer. So how about the bottom-up attack plan? Well that's a good plan of attack, in my opinion. I take inspiration from Gandhi and also from grassroots movement in the United States. Reform happens at the bottom! Before Gandhi returned to India, the Congress Party was happy to eat off the scraps of the British Raj. But once the Great Man came back, he excited the masses by doing simple things like spinning his won clothes, making his own salt and most importantly by leaving politics to Nehru and Jinnah. Martin Luther King Jr, also learnt from Gandhi and went down the same road.

Today in the US there are huge grassroots movements. The anti-war movement was sparked by the protests organised by disparate local organisations, but that became a national voice and forced politicians to take side. I've participated in Voter Registration drives with my friends. I've also hung out with the some folks from the Reelect Bush campaign, and it's very much a grassroots sort of thing. Peaceful change happens at the bottom, not the top.

So what are my thoughts on how I can reform my beloved home? By trying to teach others that we, as sons and daughters of Singapore, have a right and duty as citizens. All to often the government and ruling party stresses on our duties but ignore out rights. On the other hand, too many critics stress our rights but ignore our duties. We must be responsible citizens who are treated as such. Singapore has democratic institutions, the rule of law and, hopefully, a growing civil society. We must educate the ill- and mis- informed sons and daughters of Singapore on their role and rights as citizens.

Everyday you hear griping from everyday Singaporeans, but you see little action. What's the point? The government is monolithic and will shut people down the minute they act. True, but the British Raj was more undemocratic and more monolithic, yet a "naked fakir" could bring it to its knees. I can't do it, I have much to lose. Tell that to Ms Aung San Suu Kyi sitting in her house in Myanmar or to Mahatma Gandhi when he was in jail or MLK while he was jailed.

If you want change, go out and make change! Sick and tired of not being able to vote? Put yourself up as a candidate, or talk to other politicians and see if they represent your views. Encourage other people who care about this tiny island to stand up and be counted. Ensure true sons and daughters of Singapore are elected to represent the voice of the people. We gripe about many things, but act little on them. We need to start acting...

Of course many people tell me that I can't make a difference on my own, but I hope to "spark" one or two other people, that's all. Peaceful revolution comes over many years. The Chinese Anarchists understood this and knew also the only way to achieve their world is through education. So here I am advocating that we need to educate the ourselves to our right and duties as Singaporean men and women. We can't change the world in a day, but we sure can plant an oak seed.

Hopefully I've planted a seed in someone throughout my years of talking and explaining myself. This blog is one attempt to "spark" some of the Singaporean netizens out there. If you've been "sparked," help me out by letting others know. If you disagree or have comments, feel free to put it down.

Vox Leo

1 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger Han said...

I think blogs have come far beyond being mere journals or diaries. If you take a look at technorati.com, and various other blog search engines, you'd fine the most amazing opinion and commentaries.

I personally read www.andrewsullivan.com, www.instapundit.com, volokh.com, oxblog.blogspot.com, etc etc... wah, too many to list.

The number of quality opinion and commentary blogs out there is really amazing. The only thing is they happen to mostly be from anywhere but Singapore. Americans, British, Australians, and a smattering of Europeans included.

Hell, even the Iraqis have famous blogs documenting the life during Saddam's rule and after the liberation...

Good to know Singaporean bloggers are not all only concerned with shopping and movies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home