Saturday, September 11, 2004

Sorry

Sorry that I haven't been posting regularly. I just got back to school and am trying to get back in the groove of things. I've also been involved with preparing for the Presidential Debates that are coming here. Well it turns out that Bush might cancel the Saint Louis leg of the debates, so I guess we're stuck with Michael Moore (the media whore), and Rock the Vote (yay! MTV!).

I must say that the College Republicans definitely have hotter women than the College Democrats. Women aside, I am hoping the debates come so we can get to hear Bush and Kerry at the same time. Also I'm looking forward to the 3rd Congressional district debates between the Libertarians, the Democrats and the Republicans. That's Dick Gephardt's old seat. It'll be a good race.

On other fronts, 2 French journalists have been kidnapped. So it proves that it doesn't matter whether you supported the war or not, fanatics are still going to blow stuff up and kidnap your citizens.

So race is still important in Singapore? That shouldn't come as a surprise. Even in countries older than ours, race is an essential part of identity. I think it is only natural to put race slightly before nationality. Race for the minority is a way to effectively preserve ones culture, while for the majority it is a way to provide a sense of security when trying to accommodate the minority races. Seriously, I think culture plays a bigger role than race. Furthermore it depends on the context. Between a Hong Kong Chinese, Taiwan Chinese, China Chinese and a Singapore Chinese, the cultural differences can be quite obvious. I would argue that I probably have more affinity with my Malay Singaporean friend than with say a Hong Konger. Singaporean culture (that's another kettle of fish) trumps so-called Chinese culture. Let's be honest folks, culture is ever changing and our Chinese culture has departed from other Chinese cultures.

James Gomez has some interesting things to say about overseas Singaporeans and online political activities. They make interesting reads about what the Workers' Party exco member thinks.

Well that's it for now. I'll keep you all updated on the going ons of the election from the ground. This is really an exciting place to be in, since Missouri is a swing state and the most important one too, because it holds the most electoral college seats for a swing state (11).

Sorry for not posting much. But I promise it'll be more regular from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home