Friday, September 16, 2005

Racism rears its ugly head

I've heard and read the news. 3 people so far have been charged under the seditions act. Interesting use of the law. I'm sure they could have been charged under a different set of laws meant at keeping racial harmony.

Race is a touchy subject in Singapore. And although I wrote my thesis on identity, education and nationalism in Malaya after World War 2, I know well enough to steer clear of those issues here.

Everyone is implicitly racist. I don't think anyone can really deny that. I don't think we're prone to violence against other races, but I do believe that we hold certain prejudiced views and stereotypes about other races. It goes the same with other nationalities and so forth. The division of "US" and "THEM" has been around for quite a long time. The fact that there is a line drawn in the send means there will be half-truths, rumours and half-baked ideas about "THEM".

I'm glad though that these men are being prosecuted under the fullest extent that the laws allow. I'm also quite surprised that the government didn't invoke the Internal Security Act to take care of those racists.

I do believe that bloggers are a little scared right now and are unsure on what exactly to blog about. Well we could stick to the usual mundane crap, or we can continue doing what we've been doing. The one thing I realised in life is that you can do anything you want, just be responsible when the debts are called in. If you want to be an open flaming racist, by all means, just becareful when they come knocking on your door.

I also agree on the principle of "my right to do anything goes only as far as it does not impede your right to do something." Free speech can only go so far. We cannot be allowed to say anything we want. BUT (here's my caveat) if you truly and wholly believe in it, like those racists, then be my guest and go ahead. I disagree with you and I will debate you, and I'll even be happy when they take you away.

Hate does not have a place in our modern society and civilisation. Understanding is the only way to overcome fear and hate. Remember what Yoda said, "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering..." And usually the root cause of fear is the unknown, because we do not understand we fear. And so ignorance is the root of fear. We are most afraid when we do not know. If we possesed the full knowledge of the "other," then we would have less to fear.

So remember folks, if you hate, then look at the deeper causes. Because somewhere down there is just plain ignorance. Don't hate, Educate yourself.

2 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Blogger Mockingbird said...

Emperor Palpatine said to Luke Skywalker, "Release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me now."

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with these "racist" is that they do not mingle enough with the other races. Not knowing the other religions or cultures put them in the dark and out of ignorance, are not able to understand the differences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home